TOWN OF WILSON, WI (WHBL) - An alert neighbor is being credited with preventing a fire in a Town of Wilson garage from becoming something worse Monday evening.
Wilson Fire Chief Brian Schmitt says Jack Leonhardt noticed smoke coming from a neighbor’s garage on Garden Grove Drive around 8:30 p.m. Using a fire extinguisher Leonhardt was able to knock down the fire burning inside a garbage can enough to move it out of the garage. Responding Town of Wilson fire fighters extinguished the fire by 9 p.m.
Damage was limited to the plastic garbage can and some scorching of a garage wall. One person in the residence did not know there was a fire until she noticed Leonhardt putting it out.
Schmitt says the fire started due to spontaneous combustion of rags used for staining disposed in the garbage can.